Coming off a very successful last season, UNB Swimming is getting set for an even better year.
The Varsity Reds earned 19 medals in the 2013-14 season - their highest total in over 10 years - and finished second overall in the combined standings at the AUS Championship. Four swimmers qualified for the national championship - twice the number from the previous season.
Looking ahead to 2014-15 head coach Robin Ferdinand says her team is rounding out nicely, especially on the women's side.
"We have some solid female recruits, led by Charli LeBlanc from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia," Ferdinand said. "Charli is a fantastic backstroker, one of the top in Atlantic Canada, and she is also a strong freestyler which will really help in the relay events."
Another one to watch this year is Allison Somers from Carbonear, NL.
"She's a great competitor," said Ferdinand. "With some stroke work and a strong training group, I think she will make big improvements this year."
Andrea Greene, Kelsey Taylor and Victoria Gardiner round out this year's list of recruits to watch. Ferdinand says she's looking to them to fill in some of the events where the Varsity Reds have room to grow.
As well, there will be three sets of siblings on the team this season - Jessica and Charli LeBlanc, Andrea and Amanda Greene, and Cassey and Keelan Mooney. Ferdinand says she thinks this will make for a great dynamic and a little sibling rivalry might give an extra boost to workouts and meets.
"I'm looking forward to getting the swimmers in the pool and getting training started for an amazing season of V-Reds Swimming."
2014-2015 Incoming UNB Swimmers
Charli LeBlanc - Yarmouth, NS:
- Consistently one of the top-ranked backstrokers in Atlantic Canada.
- Eastern Canadian Championship qualifier
- Finalist at Quebec Cupu 2014
- Sister of current team member - Jessica LeBlanc
Allison Somers - Carbonear, NL:
- Consolation finalist as part of Team NL at 2013 Canada Games
- Top-ranked butterflier in Newfoundland
- medallist at East Coast Cahmpionships 2014
Victoria Gardiner - Mississauga, ON:
- Ontario Championship qualifier in distance freestyle
Andrea Greene - Moncton, NB:
- One of the top-ranked backstrokers in New Brunswick
- Finalist at East Coast Championships 2014
- Sister of current team member Amanda Greene
Kelsey Taylor - Truro, NS:
- Strong sprint freestyle and butterfly swimmer from Nova Scotia
- East Coast Championship finalists 2014