UNB Over Dal 3-1

UNB's Myah Bowal skates in on the Dal net during Sunday's 3-1 Reds win. (Photo: Andy Campbell/UNB Athletics)
UNB's Myah Bowal skates in on the Dal net during Sunday's 3-1 Reds win. (Photo: Andy Campbell/UNB Athletics)

(FREDERICTON, NB) The UNB Reds extended their winning streak to four game Sunday, with a 3-1 win over the visiting Dalhousie Tigers.

The Reds scored goals 62 seconds apart, late in the first period, and hung on in the third period to earn the win.

"That was a tough win," said Reds forward Tamina Kehler (Chilliwack, BC), who scored UNB's eventual game-winning goal. "I think we definitely could've done a little better with that one, but having that four-game win streak is good for our team."

The Reds had some early scoring opportunities.

About four minutes in, Lily George (Garden Village, ON) was sprung loose down the wing, she had one step on the defender, but lifted a backhand shot just wide.

Later, with UNB buzzing around the Dal net, Myah Bowal (Terrace, BC) tried to sneak one short side, but Fabiana Petricca (Woodbridge, ON) shut the door.

The Tigers had chances too.

With 3:30 left in the period, Dal's Meghan Anton (Kitchener, ON) went in alone on the UNB net, but Hailey Martens (Ladysmith, BC) stuck out her right pad, thwarting Anton's deke attempt.

That may have sparked the Reds.

At 17:34, and just seven seconds into a powerplay, Julia Spitzig (Kitchener, ON) redirected a cross-slot pass from the point to give UNB a 1-0 lead.

The goal was Spitzig's fourth of the season and third of the weekend.

62 seconds later, Kehler fired a one-timer past Petricca to put the hosts up 2-0.

The second period was quiet, with Dal controlling momentum.

The Reds looked better in the third period, but could not extend their lead.

Then, with six minutes to play, Dal's Amy Wilson (Mississauga, ON) broke in and lifted a shot over the right shoulder of Martens to break the shutout bid.

"I'd put that in the nice goal category," said Wilson. "I saw an opening and just cut in and ripped one on net and found that spot and it went in."

The Tigers continued to pressure the Reds defence and head coach Sean Fraser pulled Petricca with less than two minutes to play.

George added an empty net goal to make the final score 3-1 for UNB.

"The room is starting to believe what we're telling them as coaches," said Reds head coach Sarah Hilworth. "They're starting to stick with our systems and what we're trying to teach them, and it seems to be working really well for us."

Kehler's game-winning goal effort earned her Subway Player of the Game honours.

"I feel like we're all building together at this point and the chemistry is building," said Kehler. "People are standing out and stepping up when they need to."

The Reds next action comes Wednesday, when they visit cross-campus rivals St. Thomas, at Fredericton's Grant-Harvey Centre. Game time is 7:00pm.

The Tigers are also in action on Wednesday, hosting the Mount Allison Mounties for a 7:00pm start.


RECAP AND PHOTOS: Andy Campbell/UNB Athletics