VReds Over Dal In Shootout

VReds Over Dal In Shootout

(HALIFAX, NS) The visiting UNB Varsity Reds survived a thrilling five-round shootout to top the Dalhousie Tigers 5-4 on Friday night.

Forward Cameron Brace(Markham, ON) was the hero in the deciding round, snapping a shot off the post and in past Dalhousie goalie Corbin Boes(Saskatoon, SK).

The Varsity Reds controlled the majority of play in the first period, thanks in large part to their speed. They outshot the Tigers 17-7, however the game remained deadlocked at zero thanks to stellar play in net from Boes.  

Business picked up in the second period, as both teams scored three times, combining for 19 shots.

In a flurry of back-and-forth action, the game's first three goals occurred in the opening seven minutes, while the last three came in the final five minutes of the middle frame.

UNB defenceman Randy Gazzola(Thorold, ON) would open the scoring at 2:55, finishing off a tic-tac-toe pass from forward Mark Simpson(Fredericton, NB).

The Varsity Reds would increase the lead to two just over a minute later on the power-play, as forward Philippe Maillet(Terrebonne, QC) picked up a loose puck in the right slot and made no mistake.

Dalhousie would respond just under three minutes later, as forward Colton Parsons(Kingston, NS) was able to finish off a great feed in front from fellow forward Fabian Walsch(Gloucester, ON) to cut the UNB lead to 2-1.

The Tigers would tie it 2-2 on their own power-play at 15:41, on a deflected shot by Tanner Williams(Iroquois, ON.

UNB forward Francis Beauvillier(St. Hyacinthe, QC) would give his team back the lead at 17:53 on another man-advantage, however the Tigers had an answer – courtesy of forward Phil Gadoury(Montreal, QC) with just 18 seconds left in the second period – to even the score at three.  

UNB would once again take the lead at 7:46 of the third period, scoring their third power-play goal of the game – this one courtesy of forward Matt Boudens(Pembroke, ON), on a tipped shot in front.

The Tigers would level the score again, at 12:09, thanks to an unassisted goal by forward Andrew Wigginton(Sackville, NS).

The Varsity Reds controlled play for the majority of the final eight minutes, however Boes stood tall as the contest headed to five minutes of three-on-three overtime.

Gadoury and Wigginton scored in the shootout for Dalhousie, while forwards Cam Braes(Shawnigan Lake, BC) and Maillet answered for UNB, followed by the game-winner from Brace.

The Varsity Reds picked up the extra point, to improve to 4-0-1, while Dalhousie is now 2-1-2.

Dalhousie's next action is Saturday night, as they host UPEI, while UNB faces St. FX, in Antigonish.

RECAP BY: Mike Still, Dalhousie Athletics

PHOTO CREDIT: Trevor MacMillan for Dal Athletics